Head and Neck Surgery Program - View Full PDF
University Hospitals Ear, Nose & Throat Institute
Pierre Lavertu, MD (cell 216-346-2481)
Nicole Fowler, MD (cell 216-952-7566)
Rod Rezaee, MD (cell 216-288-8291)
Chad Zender, MD (cell 216-978-8809)
For Drs. Lavertu and Rezaee, please call Pat Jackson at 216-844-4773.
For Drs. Fowler and Zender, please call Christine Buckley at 216-844-5307.
For hospital transfers, please call 216-844-1111.
- Cancer of the oral cavity
- Laryngeal and pharyngeal cancer (including tonsil, tongue base)
- Surgical thyroid diseases (cancers and compressive goiters)
- Melanoma and other skin cancers
- Skull base diseases/cancers
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Minimally invasive/robotic tonsil and tongue base cancer surgery
- Sentinel node mapping for melanoma and other skin malignancies
- Microvascular free tissue transfer for complex head and neck disease
- Endoscopic surgery for tumors of the anterior skull base
- Endoscopic and open partial laryngectomies
- Endoscopic Zenker’s diverticulectomy and open Zenker’s treatment
- Complex reconstruction of the head and neck, including treatment of osteoradionecrosis (ORN), complex airway reconstruction and treatment of facial nerve paralysis
- Multidisciplinary head and neck team including surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation therapists
- Integrated services including speech and language pathology, physical therapy, social work and nutrition
- One of the highest volume cancer centers in the country, doing nearly 200 major oncologic operations a year requiring complex reconstructions for advanced head and neck disease
- Integrated cutaneous oncology program for advanced skin malignancies
- Trans-oral (robotic and laser) treatment of HPV+ and HPV- cancers of the tonsil and tongue base
- Oncologic-laryngeal endoscopic and open procedures with preservation of voice and swallow function
- Endoscopic techniques for cancers of the anterior skull base, avoiding external incisions on the face
About UH Cleveland Medical Center
At the core of University Hospitals’ $4 billion health system is UH Cleveland Medical Center, ranked among America’s best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. UH Cleveland Medical Center is home to some of the most prestigious clinical and research programs in the nation, including cancer, pediatrics, women’s health, orthopedics, radiology, neuroscience, cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, digestive health, transplantation and genetics. Its main campus includes UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the nation; UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital, Ohio’s only hospital for women; and UH Seidman Cancer Center, part of the NCI-designated Case Comprehensive Cancer Center at Case Western Reserve University.